In the Beginning...

I've been sitting here wondering where exactly I should start. Some of you have known me for years (maybe even my entire life!) and some of you are "meeting" me for the first time.

I started this blog because I want you to get to know me better. There is a person behind the computer screen and sewing machine.

So...hi! I'm Gail, a WAHM (work at home mom) to 3 pretty amazing kids. I love gardening, making pretty things, dyeing and reading.



I started my family before I met my husband (I was a package deal - I came with 2 dogs!).

I adopted my dogs soon after I turned 18, just because I could. (Great reason, I know.)

My handsome man came first.



A couple of weeks later, I adopted my sweet Molly.



Molly LOVED getting muddy; if there was mud, she found it. I'd often find her lying in this boggy area in our backyard with just her eyes peeking over the grass like a crocodile. We said goodbye to Molly this past summer due to cancer.

A few months later, we decided to get our handsome man a companion, so we headed to the local SPCA. As soon as we walked in, we saw her.



We knew we wanted a German Sheppard, and I fell in love the minute I saw her and her one floppy ear. She came home with us that afternoon. They told us that she was at least 18 months old and wouldn't get any bigger. Yeah...they got that one wrong.





She is quirky and exactly what we needed. She is an enormous puppy, and has restored youth in my other 12 year old dog. Sometimes when Ana the Banana comes inside covered head to toe in mud, I swear I catch a glimpse of Molly in the yard.

I'll be putting a weeping willow tree near the bog this spring to honor my sweet girl.



Do you have a loved fur baby? I'd love to hear about them!

2 comments:

  1. We adopted a mutt when I was 6 years old. His name was Hoover and according to them, he was also 6 years old. When we first got him he was very nervous because his previous owners had abused and neglected him, but soon he grew to love us and became a valued member of our family. When I was 16 my parents had to put him down. His body was rattled with cancer and he was in a lot of pain and confused most of the time.
    He was the best dog ever and even now, 13 years later, I still cry thinking about how we lost him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before DH and I were married, we got a GSD puppy - and as luck would have it, when she was 18 months we were able to rescue another dog from the same litter who was about to be euthanized. That pup, Shania, had 2 floppy ears which made most people doubt she was a GSD while Daicey, our first dog out of that litter was clearly a gsd. If you're interested, you can read about our 2 dogs here in my old journal: http://www.whitneystreetstudio.com/journal.html - Shania's story is at the top of the page and Daicey's is at the bottom of the page, just scroll down, it's worth a read. We had Daicey till she was 10 when we lost her to cancer and we lost Shania at nearly 14 to old age. We miss them both terribly. We have a new dog now, Teddy - he's really Magdalena's dog. She loves him to pieces.

    ReplyDelete